Mr Dhanasekaran Sakthivel
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
+61 4 1454 7007
Research ActivitiesIn my PhD program, I aim to examine the role of carbohydrate recognizing proteins of sheep (galectin 11 and 14 which have novel anti-parasitic activities in resistant animals) and how they interact with glycan’s present on the parasites surface in order to provide better insights in host immune resistance and for the design of a glycan based vaccine.
- Gene cloning, Protein expression in prokaryote and eukaryote system, Protein purification by various chromatographic approach, Macromolecular structure determination by X-ray crystallography.
- Gene expression analysis by quantitative reverse transcription PCR and western blot analysis. Maintained animal virus (BTV, PPRV and pox)
- Handled animal parasites (H. contortus, Plasmodium berghei, Plasmodium yoleii, Plasmodium falciparum, plasmodium chabaudi and F. hepatica)
- BALB/c mice for the propagation of Plasmodium berghei, Plasmodium yoleii, Plasmodium falciparum, plasmodium chabaudi
- Chicken for the New castle disease virus vaccine
- Sheep and goat for the propagation of H. contortus immune response
- Bovine for the vaccine studies of Theileria annulata